Re: Installation of Windshield Trim

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Installation of Windshield Trim
From: DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 07:31:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> You're the second person that has suggested this method.  I thought the
> first person was joking!  Most others have said that the windshield would
> have to be removed.
> No, I think the purpose of the groove in the rubber is to make
it flexible enough to install the glass easily.  The plastic
trim locks the gasket and the glass into place in the opening.
At least that's the way it appears to me.  The trim should
definitely be the last thing you install.

> My major concern in using the BFH method is that the inside clamping edges
> at the corners are very close together and I simply can't envision how I
> could "pound" them over the seal.  But, appearently you have done this and
> it works.
>
> Do you simply lay the trim on top of the rubber seal and then begin tapping?

I started with one end of the strip in the middle of the
bottom and worked my way around.  When you get to a corner,
bend the strip so it will drop into the groove.  It has been
several years since I put the trim on my GT6, but I don't
recall having any particular problem doing the job.  Be sure
to use a rubber mallet in case you slip and hit the glass and
to keep from marring the plastic trim.
Dave