Theft Proofing a TR

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Theft Proofing a TR
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:28:24 -0600
Hi Brian (back at you via the world right from Wpg, MB) and other
paranoid parties.

As far as tr's being stolen,  (knock on wood now, please) I haven't
heard of anything.

I HAVE used a dis-car-nect in the past, but they don't last long.
Corrosion will soon render the unit useless, especially if your battery
tends to be overcharged by the GM alternator you may have already seen
to replace your lucas thingy with.

A useful feature on all 73 and later cars is the round plug
connectorunder the passenger side of the dash that controld the seat
belt interlock stuff (how's that for a technical description).  Unplug,
or loosen this connection, and no start.  I bet you 9 out of 10 owners
couldn't even get their cars going if someone pulled this prank on
them.  Would a thief know? PS  Don't tell any LBC theives that you
know,  not even the guy in the club that keeps coveting your pride and
joy.

Without a hood lock there's little point in using a fancy alarm system
unless you alarm the hood.  I saw the viper system used on a (fancy?!?)
TR7 once, and it talks at you if you aproach the car or reach into it's
"space".  Could be useful but the 6 or 7 hun it would cost might be
better used to buy down your deductible and fire/theft/vandalism
coverage.  Unfortunately, we can't do anything about vandals except kill
them all.

Here's my cheapest idea yet... pull the rotor.  What thief carries a Tr6
rotor around?  Works fine on TV.  Car definately won't start.

Dave (only a really bad driver was able to steal my TR6 from me in a
head on crash) Terrick.

PS:  what about "the club"?  Visible and fairly time consuming for a
joyrider.  Seems to have worked for Chevy.