RE: TR6 tuning woes

To: "'Shane F. Ingate'" <ingate@shiseis.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 tuning woes
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:13:18 -0600
Cc: "Morelli, Michael V." <MSMNET/GP907/mmorelli@lonestar.jsc.nasa.gov>
Shane,

I have a similar performance situation with my 76 TR6 and have been engaged in
a running battle with it for the past year.  I have not changed the metering
needles (but I don't know what the PO may have done).  My course of action:

1) I also felt it might be running lean.  When checking/setting the mixture  I
found the rear carb set screw all the way in (checking with a Color Tune things
looked OK - I'm a novice with these tools though).

2) I dicked around with the timing - this did not seemed to improve much.

3) To eliminate the ignition system as being a problem I installed a Crane
electronic unit - not much changed. (Well it was a good move any ways)

4) I found the vacuum unit had a small leak and replaced it - some improvement,
but not much.

5) New plug wires - no apparent change.

6) Plugs looked good, but I replaced any ways (with platinum)-- All problems
gone!

Everything the problems you mentions disappeared  -- for 3 months, now they are
showing up again.  I think it's time to change them plugs again.

Hope the solution to your problem turns out to be as benign.  I'll be watching
to see what you do.  Good luck.

Mike Morelli
76 TR6 - Daily driver
Houston, TX