Re: GT6+>: Gearbox and Overdrive questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6+>: Gearbox and Overdrive questions
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 06:42:36 -0800
Ron N. writes:
>    I'm in the process of building a Spit 6, and was wondering what the
> gear ratios were for the GT6+ gearbox.  This 'box does not have
> overdrive, and I was also wondering if the J-Type overdrive from my 1500
> would bolt up to the GT6+ 'box.
Ron,
The ratios in the standard GT6+ box are 4th- 1.00:1, 3rd- 1.25:1, 2nd-
1.78:1, 1st- 2.56:1 and reverse, 3.10:1.
  Yes the 'J' type will bolt up, have one from a 1500 Spit on my GT6+ now.
You will need a mainshaft from a 3 rail 'J' type box (good luck but I
believe John Kipping has them) or a rebuilt 'J' type GT6 tranny (Victoria
British has them or did when I converted mine), the overdrive adaptor from a
71-73 Spitfire, 74 they went to the marina single rail box and they didn't
use the 'J' type on Spit's till the MKIV model year. (remember, GT6's never
came from the factory with 'J' types that I know of), the right angle spedo
drive, and cable for an overdrive.  You'll also need to match the mounting
plate-to-frame holes from the same year overdrive Spitfire (good luck
finding one for early frame Spitfire's with the wider spaced holes) or you
can manufacture one as I did.  I also saw recently that John Kipping has
plates for mounting 'J' types and I'm going to order one tomorrow among
other things for my project 70.  You'll also need the wiring harness/relay
or wire your own for the 1st, 2nd, and reverse lockout, not all that hard to
do.  Then you'll need a driveshaft the proper length for the overdrive, or
you can have yours shortened (that's the way I went)  I think I covered
everything, but if I didn't I'm sure someone else on the list will add to it.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (minor surgery started) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+