Re: TRF and 2nd or 3rd childhoods

To: "Mark R. Anderton" <andertonm@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TRF and 2nd or 3rd childhoods
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 06:50:10 -0500
Cc: jibrooks@juno.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark R. Anderton wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Feb 1997 22:44:24 EST jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
> writes:
> >I like TRF for their devotion to authenticity.  I also had a number of
> >back orders, and was dissapointed by the standard 4-6 week response
> >for backorder schedule.  I have started ordering the backordered
> >pieces,  from other reputable sources, as I require them.
> >
> >It is impossible for any vendor having a very substantial sale to
> >anticipate the reponse.  For a mail order vendor like TRF, the
> >downside of over ordering for a sale could be worse than under
> >ordering.  Just imagine if they purchased all the stuff we have back
> >ordered and we didn't call.
>
> The trend today in business is to keep NOTHING in stock.  Electronic
> commerce  and "just in time" ordering has made it non-profitable to keep
> stuff on the shelves hoping someone will buy it.  We should be grateful
> that there is enough trade in vintage British car parts to make
> competition work.  Look at the array of vendors that provide parts for
> something as goofy as my Daimler!

The only reason you you have an array of vendors to choose from for your
Daimler is because your Daimler is a Jaguar MK2 with a Daimler engine.
Try getting "Daimler only" parts  or Daimler models before they were
acquired by Jaguar from your array of vendors and you will see that they
have none. Like anything else the more popular the marque and model the
better the supply of parts.

--
Lenny Seidman
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA