Re: electric fuel pump

To: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: electric fuel pump
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 20:14:37 -0400
Cc: jstovall@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
SCHWANGAU@aol.com wrote:

> Remember a couple of things:
>
> One--they tend to be noisy.  tick tick tick tick etc.  May not be bothersome.
>
> Two--they don't turn off except when the key (or other racing type aux.
> switch is turned off).  Think about it: a minor rear ender, your motor quits,
> fuel keeps pumping, you are preoccupied with the incident and forget to turn
> off the key.  Manifolds are hot, fuel line or carb is damaged.  Fuel goes all
> over the place.  Hmmm.
>
> I'm not totally against them.  Just aware of some of the drawbacks.  My son's
> Bugeye had a 30 year old SU model.  Still worked fine after all these years.
>  Even after 17 years of storage.
>
> All the best
>
> Brian
Brian; having had an electic pump for 18 years, here's my slant on the
topic.
1. The noise isn't to bad, and it lets you know it's working.
2. If you go with an elec. pump, put some kind of off switch in the
cockpit. This helps at tuneup time. If it's not obviously labeled, it
a cheap anti theft device.
3. Impact protection. Mount the pump under the car, if possible. Also,
rig an impact switch. My '91 Mustang GT had a factory impact switch in
the rear hatch area. It was manualy resetable in case of a minor
thwack. There are a lot of these in the boneyard, so getting one is no
problem. And best of all, it's not made by Lucas!