Re: TR6 Engine Removal

To: tigerpb@ids.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Removal
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 09:56:07 -0400
In a message dated 96-09-28 23:49:50 EDT, tigerpb@ids.net (Paul Burr) writes:

<< Grettings; I'm pondering removing the engine on my TR6. Id like to
 know if it is posible to remove the engine and leave the tranny in
 place. The shop manual shows both being dangled over the car. I don't
 think my engine hoist can get that much altitude! Any tips, personal
 experiences, articles on attempting this would be welcome. pjb( a TR6
 newbie!)

I have done TR6 engine and transmission rebuilds.  If you want to take your
engine and transmission out separately that would not be a problem.
Just follow your transmission removal instructions and take it out through
the interior of the car, then take out your engine.  I don't know if you can
take out your engine while leaving the transmission in place.  I took mine
out as a unit.  As far as clearance, if you can tilt your engine and
transmission as you are going out or in, you shouldn't neen much
more lift height with or without the transmission.

As you would expect, it is more work putting everything together than
taking it apart.  Putting the transmission back on the engine with the engine
in place is not an easy job.  It requires a lot of pushing, grunting, and
making sure everything is alligned perfectly.  (Been there, done that.)
I would imagine that it would be even more difficult to line up the engine
with the transmission in place.  On the other hand, it is very easy
to put the transmission on to the engine outside of the car.  Bottom
line, if you can do a little bit more work and figure out how to get
your engine and transmission out and in as a unit, you will save
a significant amount of work required to do them separately.

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis Triumph Owners Association, Newsletter Editor
'74 TR6 (Rebuilt engine and transmission)
'71 TR6  OD (Rebuild in progress)
'63 Spitfire (Needs a lot)