What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net ('trumppa')
Subject: What differential?
From: knystrom@NCSCTC01ES.ntc.nokia.com (Nystrom Kim NTC/Espoo)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:31:58 +0300
Hi experts!

Now as winter approaches (at least here in Finland...) I have to start
figuring out what parts I need to get for next season. I already have a long
list already, but there's something I'm unsure about and that's the diff.
The engine is a 1500, but the gearbox is a 3-rail (maybe even from a Herald,
who knows..).

Anyway, the diff is making more and more noise, i.e. high whining sound and
I fear it will die on me soon.

Is it possible to tell what kind of diff it is, if in fourth gear at 3000
rpm's I do ca 50 mph, and 4500 rpm's ca 70 mph? In other words, is it a
3.89, a 3.29 or whatever..?? I just want to figure out if it is the right
diff, cause the acceleration needs improving... And is it possible to fit a
four-point-something diff to get better acceleration?

Appreciate your help,

Kim Nystrom,
from an already cold Helsinki, Finland