OD solenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD solenoid
From: vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:50:19 EDT
Hi All

I noted the discussions on overdrives and decided it was time to fix the
overdrive in my TR250.  When it was engaged, the solenoid would make a
very rapid clicking noise, like a woodpecker on steroids.  The overdrive
would engage, but that noise was very audible at highway speeds so I just
left it in normal.

I pulled the solenoid out and checked the plunger.  No discernable slop
in it.  I oiled it put it back and the same thing, except through the
torn rubber cover on top of the solenoid, I saw arcing.  Took the
solenoid back out removed the rubber covering and took the plastic cap
off.  The contact points were slightly pitted.  Cleaned them up with some
emery paper and reinstalled it and it works fine.

Now my question...The bakelite <SP> type material under the plastic cap
on top of the solenoid in cracked into several pieces.  The solenoid
works great, but knowing that the insulating properties of that bakelite
material is questionable, does anyone know where I might be able to find
just that?  I hate to replace a working solenoid just for that small
piece.

BTW, I am the same as hugh.mcaleer@hideout.com, just moved to juno.  I
can still be reached at The Hideout address though.

TIA
Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250, '66? Vitesse, '76 TR 7 Victory Edition