Spit temp gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit temp gauge
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:12:00 -0640
>What is the most likely cause of this? Can it be the voltage regulator
>or is a short in the wiring more likely. I believe the battery and
>generator to be OK, since they are both fairly new. If it is the
>voltage regulator, can it usually be adjusted/repaired or must it
>be exchanged?

> - Thanks, Peter

Peter....there's a component in this circuit called a voltage
*stabilizer* that feeds both the fuel and temperature gauges.
On later Spits it's fastened to the back of the speedometer.
Perhaps it's mounted in the same place on a Mk3.

Check to see that the connections are clean and that it's
mounted securely. <grounded - earthed>  It's only a $13 part
so changing it might not be a bad idea.

The voltage regulator under the bonnet might also be flakey, but
it's not clear to me just now how that would produce your
symptoms.  You might also want to clean the contacts in the
fuse box as high resistance there could create erratic operation
of the electrics.

Regards...Tom O'Malley
'74, '78 Spits