New TR7: User Update

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: New TR7: User Update
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:41:15 -0400
A month ago we bought a "new" TR7 ( `79 FHC in storage for 17 years at a
dealer). Well, we now have over 650 miles on the "new" car and I thought
everyone would be interested in an update:

1. The carbs have started weeping a bit, nothing major, but I'll have to
take care of that eventually.  It's starting to collect dirt.  Yeech.

2. Automatic is leaking fluid from the cooler supply hose.   Since the
concrete in the garage doesn't need the ATF to survive I'll probably chase
down that leak also.

3. We're loosing a bit of radiator fluid.  Again, nothing major.  No sign
of a leak so it's time to torque the head again.

4. Trunk/boot leaks around the lid.  Expected.  The car inside is dry.
The speedometer still won't read anything above 40 mph, but I'm going to
try and fix it rather than use the spare (bought from Moss at a reasonable
price still in the BL box!)  One instrument lamp is not working on the
left side of the dash.  Will replace while I'm trying to break the speedo.

5. The air conditioning still isn't fixed.  I've managed to find donors
for parts, but not the time to take the car off the road.

6. Performance is miserable, mileage mediocre.  Forget acceleration with
the car.  0-60 times are around a decade.  MPG about 20-23.   New tires
eliminated the bad wobble at speed, and handling is crisp.  In the next
few weeks I'll be rustproofing the inner body panels.  We have the
technology, we have the special wands, we even have the fluid.  All we
need is the time.  Fog lamps are on my shopping list since I hate to see
a switch without anything to do!

7. The 8-track's working fine.  I did find that somebody recorded over
a Slim Whitman tape with Rocky Horror Picture Show.  What a pleasant
suprise!  Thanks to all of those responding about tapes, but I still
haven't found that avacado tape storage box, still looking.

I've just completed documenting the car with my camcorder, and I'll
send that off to VTR and probably the TR Register's TR7/8 Registrar.
The tape accurately records the marginal-to-poor build quality of the
car, hopefully setting a few things straight for show judges. I even found
a piece of scrap metal discarded in the trunk before the car was painted
real-time while recording.  How authentic can you get!

All-in-all this has to be the most unique "new" car I've bought.  The goal
is to keep it original, but those of you who know me know that I like
modifications, and all those goodies in the Rimmer Bros. catalogue
certainly are tempting.  What it lack in performance, it gains in
"uniqueness".  I'm happy with the purchase (at least this week).

Watch now, the sucker will break this afternoon on the way home from work!

Ciao,

Bruce Clough
cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil