Re: Final word on gear oil?

To: "Patrick McMullen" <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Final word on gear oil?
From: "Daniel Julien" <djulien@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 18:02:40 -0500
Patrick McMullen <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu> wrote:
> HOWEVER, some new information I have recieved from two oil companies
> claim it is safe to use a GL5 in manual transmissions.  It appears that
> the corrosive action only takes place when the gear lube gets to hot and
> starts breaking down.  The one company also said that a GL5 would be
> better in a Overdrive transmission that uses planetary gears.

In "The Standard Guide to Automotive Restoration," (p. 180) Matt Joseph
points out that some manufacturers claim that the additives are not active
until elevated temperatures are reached, but he doubts the truth of the
claim. He also says that these additives are ESPECIALLY bad for planetary
overdrive units. He recommends Fiske Brothers Lubriplate #4, #8, or SPO as
the best lubricants for transmissions and non-hypoid rear ends. He also
says that synthetic lubes can be used, but cautions that they may eat the
seals in pre-1970s cars.

My car is still in pieces, and I haven't had a chance to look for or try
any of these yet myself.

Dan Julien
Austin, TX
'72 TR6