76 TR 6 Starter Solenoid

To: Unknown <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 76 TR 6 Starter Solenoid
From: Neil Beasley <74741.2020@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Sep 96 18:12:36 EDT
Hello All,

I went out to start the TR 6 after it had sat for several days and, lo, the
battery was dead. I charged it and had to turn the engine a lot to get it
started. Finally it did--and died. No battery again; just a click. I checked the
voltage across poles and it showed about 12v.  I've repeated this several times
without driving it enough to really charge the battery and at about 12 v. I get
the same click. We load tested the battery and it's good. My mechanic friend
thinks the problem is the starter solenoid. If it is, here are my questions. Can
I remove the solenoid without  removing the starter so that it can be tested?
Looking at the starter, this doesn't seem to be such a big job but I've been
fooled before! Anything I need to watch for?

Can these things usually be rebuilt, if needed, by local non-lbc shops?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil
76 TR 6
Longview, Tx.