Re: O.D. Woes

To: mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O.D. Woes
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 11:52:04 -0400
In a message dated 96-09-07 21:49:05 EDT, mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu (Patrick
McMullen) writes:

>What would keep a J-type OD from disengaging?  The solinoid works like it
>should.  All my switches are operating like they should.  The
>transmission was completely overhauled in 1991 and has 9000 miles on it.
>I drove it almost 40 miles with the column switch off but the
>transmission remained in OD.  Even from a dead stop, I had OD in first
>gear.  At least I remembered not to back up!

Pat,

The J type OD does not have an accumulator (as does the A type) so the only
way that the OD could be engaged at start-up is if the OD clutch is stuck (or
the OD pistons).

The last time that happened to me (on an Austin-Healey) the OD clutch just
stuck.  A few good wacks with a soft faced hammer - like a raw-hide hammer we
use for wire wheel knock-offs - broke it loose and it has worked fine ever
since.

I think the clutch face just stuck to the brake ring and the wacks broke it
loose.  You might try giving the transmission a few good wacks with a soft
hammer and see if that helps.  I don't think that a rubber hammer will work.
 Try a small hand sledge and a block of wood if you don't have a raw-hide
hammer.

 Another possible cause is that the splines are galled and not allowing the
clutch to move back to the direct position (not likely).  Only a disassembly
will determine that.

Good luck

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com