RE: TR 250 oil leak

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'ckent@ids.net'" <ckent@ids.net>
Subject: RE: TR 250 oil leak
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 08:57:51 -0600
Encoding: 46 TEXT
You may be able to get away with just replacing the rear main seal on the
engine as well as the oil seal housing gasket and oil pan gasket.
On my TR6 neither of these required engine removal, only gearbox removal.

I had to do this (remove the gearbox) because my clutch release bearing had
seized. While "in there" I decide to replace front and rear
seals on the gearbox as well as the parts mentioned at the start of this
message.

So while you have the gearbox out, you might want to replace the clutch parts
(disc, plate and bearing) as well the release fork pins (the
ones which connect to the release bearing holder), the PIN (the one which
connects the release fork to the clutch shaft - this thing broke
on mine and I had a hell of a time digging it out, had to cut the shaft),
clutch shaft bushings. With the rear of the engine exposed, you
may replace the pilot bushing and have the flywheel machined as well.

I am in the process of doing this for the very first time so I am not an
authority on the matter, perhaps more seasoned do-it-yourselfers
have other suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)