Re: opinions on webber varbs for 4 cylinder solicitated

Subject: Re: opinions on webber varbs for 4 cylinder solicitated
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 11:35:14 EDT
On Sep 6,  8:50am, Gano, Ken wrote:
> Someone mentioned tests which showed the S-U carbs as being able to out =
> preform Webers.
>
> We are trying to plan a complete engine rebuild and would like more =
> thoughts on Webers v. S-U's.

The person who did the testing referred to above is Ken
Gillanders of BF & E, who really is a wonderful source
of both advice and performance parts.  I've used both
SUs and Webers on both my street cars and my autocross
TR-4.  My feeling is that *properly set-up and flowed*
SUs will make pretty much the same power as the Webers
and are much easier to adjust and tune.  However, the
throttle response is a bit better with the Webers.  This
doesn't really matter for a road racer where the car is
running at wide open throttle almost all the time.  However,
for an autocross car which is running at part throttle at
times and where the transient response is critical, I still
feel that the Webers have a slight edge.  The other problem
is that there aren't too many folks who really know how
to flow the SUs correctly, so that's something to consider.

my $0.000002 worth,

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU