Re: TR4 Compression ratio

To: "\"J.C. Hassall\"" <jhassall@ipass.net>, Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Compression ratio
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Sep 96 16:36:56 EDT
J.C.,

Please excuse the operator headspace/brain failure.  My intake valves are 0.035"
oversized, NOT 0.100".  BF&E sells the intakes at 0.035" and the  exhausts at
0.100", and I got them mixed up. I popped for the oversize intakes, but not the
exhausts.  Yes, I am running hardened exhaust seats.  Ken Gillanders mentioned
that there was some concerns with running both oversize valves, due to the
possibility of the hardened seat falling out.

I've decided to play it (relatively) conservative.  I got some e-mail from Nick
in Nor Cal where he was concerned about my ability to run the car on the street.
I'm going to clearance the intake valve, reshape the squish area, and radius the
cyl. liner by the intake valve.  I'll leave additional head shaving alone for
now.  I'll see how it runs with the uprated cam and pump fuel, and then make a
determination about further shaving.

The quickie programs that I used for compression/octane requirement calculations
were from the Compuserve Auto forum.  I don't know if they are on the 'net
anywhere. I can send you a floppy if you're interested.  I don't know how much
to trust the octane program, since all you do is enter your old horsepower, old
compession ratio, and new compression ratio.  From this it caclulates your
horsepower increase and fuel requirements, as well as ASE efficiency.  Seems a
little weak.

Once again, thanks for the info.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com
1967 TR4A (rigid axle)
1980 TR7 convertible