TR6 ignition problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ignition problem
From: Anne van Leeuwen <anne.van.leeuwen@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:51:34 -0500
A few weeks ago I bought my second TR6 with carburettors.
I decided to give it a thorough tune up, including new
breaker points, distributor cap, high tension cables, spark
plugs, etc. I did the same with my first TR6C.

Both times I encountered the same problem: At the moment
the points open the rotor is not exactly aligned with the
applicable cable connector in the distributor cap, causing the
engine to misfire. Wear on the old cap indicates that the
problem was already there before my work. My solution for
this problem is to rotate the rotor on the distributor shaft until
it is aligned properly. Securing it properly is important
because to be able to rotate it you have to remove the rotor
locking mechanism. Afterwards the engine runs great.
The vacuum retarding mechanism is left unconnected, which
is the case with most TR6C's I've seen in the Netherlands.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does anybody know
the cause? Any help would be appreciated.

Anne van Leeuwen
anne.van.leeuwen@medtronic.com