Re: your mail (TR 3 DISC BRAKES)

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: your mail (TR 3 DISC BRAKES)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:21:37 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

> >...one of those British Motor Heritage description papers would...
> > be able to tell if this was a special ralley car or anything out
> >of the ordinary right?

> Actually, the certificate from BMHT tells you what was installed on the
> car as it came down the line. If a car was modified for race or rallye
> after it came out of the doors at Canley, whether by the factory or by
> a dealer, the mods would not show on the BMHT cert. Yet those mods would
> certainly count as "original equipment" since they would have been on the
> car prior to delivery to the original purchaser. Welcome to the gray
> area of the hobby.

How true. Case in point: OVC276, one of the first "works car" -- Ken
Richardson's own works car. This was featured in Triumph World several
issues back. The article noted that build records indicated the car to
have been Ice Blue as it came off the assembly line. The article went on
to imply that build records might not always have been totally accurate
to begin with, but the point is that, before anyone outside the Triumph
works ever saw OVC276 in any form, it became a works racer finished in BRG.

Additionally, so many of us in the USA have, have seen or otherwise
remember various "OE" radios in our Triumphs. It's likely these and
other accessories won't show up on any build records as they were added
by the dealer prior to first delivery here.

--Andy, in the gray area of the hobby for many, many years now (in fact
Dad's first Triumph 10 was gray [and blue])

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *