Clatter Clatter (TR6 valves)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clatter Clatter (TR6 valves)
From: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 11:33:05 PST
     A while back I sent a plea for help on getting the valves on my newly
     reconditioned TR6 head to quiet down. It seemed that no matter how
     much I adjusted them they were still noisy.

     I've solved the problem, thanks to a lister's suggestion, and would
     like to share it with others. Actually, it's pretty simple but
     something to look out for.

     My '74 TR6 has 115,000 miles on it and the problem turned out to be
     cupped rocker arms. Where the rocker arm contacts the top of the valve
     stem there is a depression or cup due to wear, varying on each arm
     from nearly nothing to as much as .04" or .05". Obviously, trying to
     adjust the gap with a flat feeler gauge won't work because the gap
     will be way too big in most cases. One lister, I believe it was Roger
     Bolick, says he uses a very narrow feeler gauge (about 3/8" wide) to
     slip into the area where the cupping has occurred and get a more
     accurate measurement. I don't have a gauge like that so I found a
     rocker that wasn't too badly worn, adjusted it, then rocked it up and
     down to get a feel for what the others should feel like. Then I
     adjusted them by eye and ear until they all felt like the good one.
     Not super accurate but better than before.

     So Roger, you get the cigar! Thanks for the help and thanks also to
     Nick in Nor Cal for suggestions and for taking the time to answer. I
     hope this helps others with similar problems.

     Jim
     jims@autodesk.com
     '74 TR6 CF20076U