Re: clutch failure

To: Chad Jester <triumph@igc.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch failure
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:35:52 -0400 "clutch failure" (Aug 29, 8:26am)
> Subject: clutch failure
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday with the group.  I
> was driving my TR6 to work yesterday.  I had just rounded a corner and
> shifted into 2nd gear and was accelerating.  Suddenly, without warning,
> the engine revved and the car stopped accelerating.  I coasted to a stop
> along the road, engine still running and the car in gear.  Nothing I could
> do would make the car move.  So, I called AAA and had the car towed home.
> Last night I took the beast apart to find the source of the problem.  I
> removed the transmission and discovered the clutch disc hub had
> disconnected itself from the outer part where the lining is attached.  I
> have never experienced a failure like this.  Has anyone else?  I just put
> this clutch in 3 months ago...it is a Borg and Beck.  Needless to say,
> I'll be back at the parts house today to pick up my warranty replacement.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chad Jester
>-- End of excerpt from Chad Jester

Been there, done that, don't want the damn t-shirt. I have had the centers
torn out of at least three discs. I have been told that there probably
is a misalignment of the input shaft. I think that it is a problem with
the clutch discs.

A stock Spitfire isn't powerful enough to tear the center out of a driven
disc. Only once do I believe that it is because of autocrossing, (I had
slicks on the car at the time). The other two times that I can think of,
I was simply buzzing down the road, although I had slowed down to allow
for turning traffic. The first time, I was moving back to Detroit, and
was about 8 miles from the in-laws when it happened. A friend towed me
home. The last time I was coming home from Michigan International
Speedway on a Sunday night when it let go. That was an expensive tow.

Doug Mitchell