Re: Saab blowers, TR6 carbs, fuel filler gaskets

Subject: Re: Saab blowers, TR6 carbs, fuel filler gaskets
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 13:12:18 EDT
Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se> writes:
>Subject: Re: Blower for Spit Motor

        Cool address.  ;-)

>They come originally out of old Swedish jet fighters. The SAAB J29
>"Tunnan" where they were pressurizing the cockpit, driven via an angle
>drive from somewhere on the jet engine. It's Marshall Mk27 Roots-type
>blowers with capacity enough for _maybe_ a 1000 cc engine. I intend to
>mount a twin setup feeding each two cylinders on my 1296 Mk3 engine.

        You _are_ going to paint it in Swedish air force colors and markings,
aren't you?  :-)

        On another subject, I was looking through the Moss catalog recently
(I hadn't gotten one from them in a long while, and decided to take a look
and see what they were up to and what parts they had that TRF didn't, if any -
especially some that TRF had as NLA that I need).  (1970 TR6)

        Looking over their carb parts list, I decided (again) to double-
check my carb numbers - now both TRF and Moss's info show my carbs as being
from '71 (C3385R/L; correct was C3365 or C3292).  Note that I have the
dual vacuum unit engine, with both advance and retard, but unlike the
manuals, both were hooked up to the rear carb (advance is supposed to be
on the top of the front carb).  I got suspicious and decided to test it, and
blew through the pipe from the distributor end.  No joy - the connection is
there but isn't drilled through.  Apparently the DPO put on carbs from a
'71 at some point in it's history (it does have apparently 158K miles).

        This has a significant downside.  While the mixture should be
adjustable (good), the distributor advance is only 19-22 degrees max, while
the no-vacuum-advance models (excluding a few transition cars) had ~28-30
degrees max advance (both from centrifugal).  I like vacuum advance (it
provides better part-throttle operation), so I may need to get my carbs tapped
to make the vacuum advance connection real.

        I recently disconnected the vacuum retard (effective at idle only
anyways) because the diaphragm leaks.  Neither TRF nor Moss list it.  Moss
has the advance unit, but mines fine.  Any ideas?  Anyone got a spare from a
parts car for sale?  (It needs to be a advance-retard car, the unit is
different.)

        Last subject: seals for the non-magnetic gas cap.  Mine is torn (the
large circular seal that fits in the metal ring under the cap that sits on
top of the filler neck).  TRF has all the seals for the non-magnetic fillers
NLA.  Any ideas?  This is the filler with the emmissions connector on the
side of the neck; the seal is about 2" diameter, with a .5" lip.

        This Sunday was super LBC weather.  Dry, ~80, sunny.  On my way out
to southern NY I saw a pretty TR250 (and chatted with the owner), AH3000, and
MG T-series (the MG and AH were getting on the turnpike(!) together).  I
wasn't in the '6 - still have a intermittent short to track down, and I was
driving 145 miles to pull a Merkur engine and tranny out of a parts car
(I need a new tranny for the XR4Ti).  Bummer; it was a perfect day.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com