Re: Value of 73 Stag ?? ?

To: Carelallen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Value of 73 Stag ?? ?
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:53:43 EDT
Cc: JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:30:28 -0400 Carelallen@aol.com writes:
>Joe,
>
>Just for reference, I paid $5K for a nice Stag last year. It a rust
>free
>unrestored car with a re-paint that runs well. The car has auto trans,
>wire
>wheels, a hard top and approx 50K miles. The only obvious things that
>it
>needed when I bought it was new tires, a new soft top and at least 1
>muffler.
>The previous owner had listed it in Hemmings for several months and
>got quite
>a few inquires but I was the only serious buyer who actually looked at
>the
>car (it was in Midland Michigan). I believe he started asking $7,500
>for it
>which I think would have been a reasonable price for it. I think I
>bought on
>the low end. My personal feeling is that a $10K car must be very, very
>nice
>and need basically nothing. From your limited description, I woulde
>guess
>that the car you are talking about is worth something less than $5K.
>Good
>Luck!
>
>Carel Allen
>71 Stag
>
>P.S. Watch out for oil leaks on a car that has sat for a while. the
>car I
>bought was stored for 5 years and after I started using it developed
>leaks at
>the oil pump, power steering, transmission output shaft and gear
>selector (I
>think?), and diff pinion seal.

Note:

I noticed your note about the oil leaks on a car that has sat for some
time.  I recently picked up a beater for my efvery day commute (then 60
miles each way).  The car sat for several months and gushed power
steering fluid like ther was no tomorrow.  I was about to repair/rplace
the pump and rack when I noticed a slight decrease in fluid consumption.
Within 2,000 miles the fluid consumption was virtually nill.

If you can give it a little time, the seals may rehydrate and soften,
sealing again.

Jack Brooks