Re: Emergency Point Gap Gauge

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Point Gap Gauge
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:43:22 -0700
At  8:21 PM 8/22/96 -0400, Tom Tweed wrote:
>Fellow Motorheads,
>
>Andy's ad hoc repair at Quadfest reminded me that many moons ago when I
>had a 69 Spitfire and similar rough-running problems, more than once my
>points were cleaned up by dragging a small doubled-over piece of 400 grit
>wet/dry paper between them, cleaning them with a damp handkerchief, and
>then re-gapping them using a paper matchbook cover as the gauge, which is
>very near 0.015" thick.  It's also soft enough that any remaining `peaks'
>on the point faces don't result in a too-wide gap setting.  Performing
>this little ritual got me home on more than one dark & stormy night.

There is a little Lucas tool that you can get from rther Moss or the
Roadster Factory.  It fits on a key chain and is a combination ignition
screwdriver and 0.015" blade for gaping points.  Its about the size of a
large key and better than a rabbits foot for getting you home.  They are
cheap too.I have one on each of my key chains.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com