Re: Stripped bolts in TR4A Rear

To: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stripped bolts in TR4A Rear
From: Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk (Keith Bennett)
Date: 22 Aug 96 14:55:14 GMT
Pat,
        I'm currently in the process of fixing the same
problem on mine, but I'm fortunate in having a spare trailing
arm to go on which has all 6 studs intact. FWIW it's been
held on by 4 for the past 2 years at least without trouble,
but now I've got wide tyres (205/60) and have been doing
some sprinting, so I don't want to push my luck too far!
Another spare trailing arm I've got has had 1 stud repaired
(by a P.O.) by grinding away some of aluminium behind the
stud and putting a nut there. Doesn't look as horrendous as
it sounds, but it would probably be a better bet finding
someone who can helicoil it.

Last night I got the old bushes out of the good arm (they put
up quite a fight), and I've got some spangly new yellow
polyurethane (or do I mean polypropylene?) bushes to go in.
Has anyone else fitted these? I expect I'll be able to push
them in in a vice, but I'm wondering whether to fit the metal
sleeve into the bush first or try to push it in afterwards.
Is it worth putting some copaslip around the bush to stop
the aluminium corroding? (there was copious quantities of
white powder surrounding the old bush)

Keith Bennett                                Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/triumph/