spitfire 1500 air pumps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire 1500 air pumps
From: EUlm890623@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:07:23 -0400
Dear fellow triumph enthusiasts,

I'm the proud owner of a 1980 spitfire 1500. I've had the car for about a
year and presently have the head off doing a head gasket and valve job.
I really enjoy the car even though its a california model (yeah dude) along
with all the
annoying emissions junk that makes working on the car less than pleasurable.
I have a siezed air pump off the car (DPO) and am considering having it
rebuilt. Also,
while pulling off the head I noticed that the air emissions manifold is
cracked.  I'd like to put both of these abominations into long term storage
but first two questions.

1)Will I be able to get through emissions testing here in Chicago without the
previously mentioned items?

2)Will eliminating the air emissions manifold and plugging the holes have any
adverse effect on performance?

Don't get me wrong I love the environment, give to greenpeace and eat granola
like every good amerikan but it would be nice  to get this junk off my car.
Besides rabid motorheads like us with our well tuned cars probably put out a
tenth of  the polution as the basic neglected econobox

thanks in advance

Eddy Ulm
1963 TR4
1980 Spitfire 1500