Spitfire Mk3 Commission Number

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Mk3 Commission Number
From: Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be (Bernard Christian-Woodruff)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 20:37:23 +0200 (MET DST)
I've finally got round to buying a working Triumph - my other two are in
the process of dying or being restored.....
It's an ex-USA (Texas) Spitfire MkIII, imported into Belgium 4 years ago.
The odd thing is the commission number, which is FDU 39317L. None of the
books I possess refer to an FDU number, only FD, although I noticed that
for other Triumph models, a U at the end of a commission number denoted
USA. Does anyone know what the U means on the MkIII?
While I'm asking - the car has a MkIV type dashboard which I've read was
introduced into USA bound MkIIIs late on in the MkIII history - does anyone
know exactly when this change was made?

Thanks!
Bernard.