Re: Tires on Spit/GT6 - "the dead horse" ;-)

To: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Tires on Spit/GT6 - "the dead horse" ;-)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:24:19 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Michael Noerregaard wrote:

> Sorry to beat on the dead horse again....but:
>
> Yesterday I spent the day at Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing at Texas World
> Speedway, where I had the great pleasure of watching several Triumphs in
> action (TR6, TR3, and a Spit) - as well as a series of Super Seven's, Cooper
> S, Elan's, etc....  However, what really caught my eye was a Spit from
> Austin (not in the race) that had 175/80/13 tires on it - and the owner said
> it made a terrific highway cruiser with those on it. Anybody else has
> experience with XX/80/XX tires? The looked really good - especially since I
> could still use stock 13 inch rims - and filled out the wheel-arches very
>well.

A 175/*80* x 13 probably would fit well enough on a Spit or GT6. The
only benefit I can see, though, is that it would effectively give you a
more relaxed final drive, since it's a good bit taller than the stock
155 of a GT6 or later Spitfire.

Beyond that, though, I can't think of a particularly good reason to use
a 175 *80* 13 tire, for two reasons:
1. Spitfires and GT6s don't really need _taller_ tires
2. There aren't too many "performance-oriented" tires in that size that
I've seen. Most tires in that size seem to be more of the fleet service
level of performance, which is to say they'll hold a round shape when
inflated and come with optional whitewall sides to really accent the
look of that Chevy Citation (or Triumph 2000 sedan). ;-)

My $.02 worth....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *