Re: Pinking Spitfire

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Pinking Spitfire
From: "Scott D. Sanders" <ssanders@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:53:58 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:

>  >> my 1500 is pinking under medium load (away from junctions and up
>  >> hills etc.

> [snip, Other English Spit prob's]

>>marks on pulley are meaningless.  My Spit. is in the latter condition
>>so I set up the timing so that it just doesn't pink in 4th gear at low
>>speed up a steep hill. Seems to work fine.

ping, it's called in central Missouri, USA. pre-ignition, same thing.

>>I have a, well it's more of
>>a concern than a problem. My 73 MkIV Pops and bangs
>> really loudly when I shut off the throttle and the engine is doing alot
>> of the braking, ie going down a steep hill in a low gear with my foot
>> of the pedal(gas).....Could this be valve timing incorrect, allowing

or ignition timing. or is there a vacum throttle letoff on these? not
familiar enuff to contribute.

> ps. it does sound quite good, but I am a bit concerned it might be
> knackering something up!!!!

pink/ping is hard on the internals of the motor, i think backfiring is
hardest on the exhaust system (and MPG/K from mixture being so rich). it
could/will blow up/off mufflers, or the weakest exhaust link thereof.

help stamp out and/or overusage, your vote counts.
scott9@pobox.com
ssanders@mail.coin.missouri.edu