Re: TR4 pinking problem

To: john gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: TR4 pinking problem
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 20:15:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
john gillis wrote:

> My brother owns a 63 TR4. The car tended to pink alot even on a flat road
>under
> light load. It had been set up for classic car racing events with bits and
>pieces
> Can anyone suggest why this should happen, so I can sort it
> before it does some real damage to the engine.

There is an old mechanic's trick to determine if the problem is related to
carbon in
the cylinders.  Get a pump spray bottle, fill it with water, and with the
engine
fully warm and the idle up (1500 rpm or so), spray water, a little at a time,
into
the carburetor intakes, but try not to let the engine die in the process.  Do
this
until you've run a few ounces of water through the cylinders.  Then go out and
run
the car at the points where the pre-ignition started.  If it's gone, you've
probably
got some carbon build-up in the cylinders.  If the problem comes back quickly,
then
you may have some de-coking to do.  If that procedure does not create a change,
try
a set of plugs one step colder; if the car will still idle okay, then it may be
that
one of the modifications done to the engine that you couldn't take off was a
head
shave.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....