Re: FW: TR6 Transmission Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: TR6 Transmission Oil
From: Patrick McMullen <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:54:31 -0700
I can't imagine why you would want to run Motor oil in a Transmission.
But if you must, you need to change it much more frequently.  It does not
have the sulfer content gears require for Extreme Pressure protection.
You would be better off running ATF in your manual trans. as oppose to
Motor oil.
Gear lubes have different ratings.  GL-1 through GL-6.  The higher the
number the more advanced the formula.  Most GL-5's and Gl-6's are
strickly for differential use.  If used in most transmissions, they would
tend to eat away at anything brass, bronze, or copper.  The sulfur
content is so high it is very corrosive to these elements.  I have seen
recently some GL-5 lubes that are safe to use in manual transmissions.
The main thing is to read the label.  Be sure it is safe for
transmissions.  As far as I know, it makes no difference if the
transmission is a O/D or not.  I am running Amsoil synthetic in my O/D on
my TR-6.

Take Care

Pat in NC