Re: Spitfire Transmission problems<199608081235.IAA20703@uncc-01.campus.

To: rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission problems<199608081235.IAA20703@uncc-01.campus.mci.net>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 14:29:14 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>I need some info - I have a line on a rebuilt Spitfire 1500 (single rail)
>transmission with overdrive for a reasonable price. What is involved in
>changing over my MKIV to accept this tranny? The MKIV has the 10 spline
>input shaft the 1500 has the 20 spline shaft, I know I will need the 20
>spline clutch plate and I believe larger pressure plate since the 1500

You can use a small 20 spline clutch plate from an early triumph 1500
Saloon(Try Kippings or Moss in England for the part) This will utilise the MkIV
Pressure plate and the 20 spline shaft of the J-type gearbox.

>clutch is larger diameter. Will the pressure plate bolt to the flywheel I
>have in the MKIV (1300cc engine vs 1500cc)? Or do I need to replace the
>flywheel as well? I know I will have to have the drive shaft shortened how
>do I find out how much? Do I need to mount the trans and measure it? How do
>I measure it? Or does some one have the measurements they could supply to
>me?

Again, all the prop shaft lengths are in the Kipping catalogue(I don't have
mine with me here, does anyone else?), including the lengths that would be
required if you converted a Herald to overdrive etc(very useful).

>Also is the tranny output flange from the 1500 the same as the MKIV?

I think so(But I'm ain't sure) :-)

>Does anyone have an OD drive shaft to sell me (cheap)?

Nope!!! sorry.

>Also the tranny does
>not have a shift lever does anyone have a 1500 tranny OD shifter (the on

Dinosaur sh*t!!!!

>with the OD switch on it) for sale? I think I can fabricate the needed
>wiring harness but I'll also need a relay. Any advice or help would be
>greatly appreciated.

For a J-type overdrive, you DON'T need a relay, as the solenoid doesn't consume
much power, so it draws the power straight from the reverse light switch on the
gearbox.

Good Luck

Rich