Re: Spit Swing Springs

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Swing Springs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:09:35 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Okay, okay.  Now I'm confused.  Andy Mace advises that the rear leaf swing
> spring on the later Spits is the same length as the earlier non-swing spring
> Spits, however the axles are longer (no dispute about that last part).

Well, almost. What I said was that the swing-spring was the same,
whether used with the "shorter" or "longer" axles. But...

> So am I to understand that I CAN bolt in a later swing spring with
> absolutely NO other modifications to my Mk I Spit?

Basically, yes, you can. As I noted yesterday in my answer to Larry, you
really need only to block off the two now-redundant center stud holes on
top of the diff. Again, though, you really need to use the fatter front
sway bar that came on the swing-spring cars in order to help compensate
for the now softer, lower-roll-center rear suspension. If by NO
modification you mean no particular cutting, drilling or welding -- or
something completely reversible, you are correct. It's all bolt-in stuff.

> If it is the same length, then why longer axles?

The longer axles simply give a 2" wider track in the rear, for whatever
that usually gains you (or Pontiac, who has recently revived their
"Wide-Track" Pontiac advertising from the 50s/60s).

IN summary (thank goodness, he's almost through): the swing-spring
conversion is fairly quick, not too expensive, usually worthwhile and
COMPLETELY reversible -- especially if, somewhere down the road, someone
gives you one of those camber compensator thingies (also a completely
reversible modification!).

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *