Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 09:34:32
> Hello all,
> I recently picked up my first LBC, a '74 Spitfire. I love it! I chose this
>car over
> a Miata! I've begun working on a few minor things. I need to replace the
>ignition/steering
> lock switch and turn signal/headlight dimmer switch. It appears the previous
>owner
> has put an entire steering column from a '77 - '80 on this car. It looks like
>I need
> to remove the steering wheel to remove the ingition switch and turn signal
>unit.
> With much force, I was able to remove the nut that holds the steering wheel.
>
> Now, my problem. How can I get the steering wheel off? It appears to be
>rusted on quite
> well. There's no room between the wheel and the dash to apply a hammer with
>any useable
> force. Is there some kind of tool made that can apply leverage from behind.
>Anybody
> know a secret method?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
>    -Rick
>                     -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
                      Rick.Meyer@mn.state.net

I always use a three-legged gear puller to remove the steering wheel
from its splines. You can probably get away with a really cheap one
becauses really big forces are not required (and would probably break
the wheel anyway.  I couldn't believe how easy my wheel came off
first time I used the puller (after hours of levering, hammering etc).

Good luck,

Jonathan

Spit 1500