Re : Bleeding Mystery

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re : Bleeding Mystery
From: GB79fyR9 <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 May 96 08:26:34 EDT
Cc: "C.Brown" <CBrown1500@aol.com>, Tony Robinson <aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu>
I was asking about the strange location of the bleeder (middle of the cylinder)
on rear wheels cylinders, on Spitfires.

Thanks to C.Brown for the question "why ?" : "---Both rear brakes use the same
cylinder part number. They're interchangable. So, to make them work on both
sides, they compromised on the location of the bleeder.--- "
Thanks to Tony Robinson for the question "how ?" : "---The theory is that the
airr will be compressed along with the brake fluid and flow out when the valve
is opened. The key here is to apply even, steady pressure and open the valve in
a quick 1/4 turn and close quickly.---"

C. Brown also asked if I had any braking problem.. Well, not really, my Spitfire
has a "normal" braking, (stainless goodridge hoses), like any other Spitfire.
But I still ask myself what would be the brake feeling with that holes at the
top of the cylinders.. (Tony R. wrote "but it's seemed to work since the
introduction of hydraulic on American autos around 1938.") Maybe holes at the
top would only give a more easy bleeding ??

Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com
1968 Spitfire MK 3, every day car
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire