RE: LBC Museums in England

To: aces7@aol.com (ACES7), triumphs@autox.team.net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Subject: RE: LBC Museums in England
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 9:00:00 +0100
Original subject:
>I am traveling to "The Mother Country" in August and would like to visit
some
>LBC and Triumph museums.  Any suggestions?
>Kirk Howard
>71 TR6

Hi Kirk,

Further to your request, and Bob Lang's reply, I would recommend Beaulieu as
worth a visit.  It's probably the best known of the UK motor museums,
situated in the "deep south"(!).   You can call them on (44) 1590 612123.
 My wife and I spent a day there a couple of years ago and she enjoyed it
too!  The Beaulieu estate includes a ruined abbey and monastery which is
pretty interesting too.

I've heard good reports on the British Heritage Museum at Gaydon, but
haven't been there yet.  Perhaps someone else can give their opinion?

Other museums visited and reviewed by Popular Classics magazine, and ones
that I'd like to visit but haven't yet:

Museum Of British Road Transport, Coventry.  Tel (44) 1203 832425.  Has some
Triumphs, including half a Triumph Herald (i.e. a cross section).  Popular
Classics say: "A great deal to see in a museum with character.  It's so nice
to see workaday classics preserved for posterity alongside the more
expensive.  Highly recommended."

The Haynes Motor Museum (yes, *that* Haynes, publisher of yours and mine
favourite workshop manuals!), Sparkford, Somerset.  Tel (01963) 440804.
 Massive range of exhibits, including Triumphs (e.g. 2000, late Spitfire)
and some TRs in the "red" hall - devoted entirely to red sports cars, about
50 of 'em!  Popular Classics say: "Unbeatable variety and a magnificent
line-up of passionately collected cars.  There's a lot to see and enjoy for
your money.  Nothing about this museum is pretentious and 'budget' classics
are just as lovingly portrayed as expensive exotica."

btw, I have no connection with Popular Classics magazine, apart from that I
buy and read it!

Of course, you could try to contact the TR club(s) in the UK and get along
to one of their meetings.  As a humble Herald driver, I can't help you here,
but I'm sure someone on the list can.

Enjoy your visit, and don't forget that extra suitcase for carrying home all
the rare parts you buy (-:

Daren Allder
Reading, UK.