Re: Vitesse electrical woes

To: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Vitesse electrical woes
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 22:43:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>The latest problem with our Vitesse is that is prooving difficult to start.
>The symptoms are as follows:
>with a fully charged battery, it will start OK, although the starter
>doesn't turn quite as quickly as I suspect it should.  After a few days
>however, the starter will only crawl round.  The strange thing is that
>hydromter readings seem OK (not quite as high as the fully charged state,
>but not low enough to indicate a flat battery).  Connecting a fully charged
>booster battery will ususlly start the car, but again the starter only
>turns slowly.  In addition the starter terminal on the solenoid gets really
>hot and the battery earth strap gets quite warm.  The solenoid iteslf is
>OK. A related problem is that the headlights are quite dim and the horn
>won't work unless the engine is revved.  Both the dynamo and battery are
>relatively new.  Does anyone have any ideas - could it be a control box
>problem - the Vitesse has the same control boxas an early GT6 (Lucas
>RB340), or does sound more like a dodgy earth - I've cleaned up the battery
>to scuttle earth connection to no effect.
>
>Thanks in advance once again for any responses,  Pat Edwards.
>
>P.S. Please forward a copy of any response to me personally.  Thanks.

Pat,

I'm no electrical whiz, but it sounds as though your starter has developed a
high internal resistance. Enough so to cause the cables to get hot from the
heavier than normal load, and only turn over with the aid of additional
cranking amps supplied by a full charged battery or an additional battery.
Also, check the charge at the battery while the car is running at high idle
to make sure your charging circuit is working. You may have two unrelated
problems.

Good luck,
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register