reply to chip re OD soleniod Question

To: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: reply to chip re OD soleniod Question
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 08:54:37 -0700
Chip & any following htis thread:
The TR4 OD transmission has less than 10,000 on a rebuild.  Before i took
it out of my TR3 for the car's rebuild everything was working perfectly.
The transmission is now back in the car & it would grieve me dearly to have
to take it out.  The transmission has sat for 6 years during the car's
rebuild.  The outside shaft on the right doesn't seem to be in contact with
the housing but I will check.  The arm attached to the solenoid plunger has
a good bit of rust on it.

Any advice on how to proced from here?

At 11:18 PM 5/26/96 -0400, Chip Old wrote:
>On Sun, 26 May 1996, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
>
>> TR4 transmission with OD
>>
>> I was ringing out my newly built & installed overdrive subaheness today
>> and noticed something that I'm not sure is right.
>>
>> When power is applied to the solenoid it pulls a lever up.  When I remove
>> the power, the lever does not drop,  This is with the engine off and the
>> internal pump not pumping.

>When the solenoid plunger retracts it lifts the solenoid lever, which
>rotates the cross-shaft, which lifts the valve lever, which lifts the
>valve plunger, which lets oil pressure lift the valve ball off its seat,
>which lets said oil pressure engage the overdrive.  Phew!  Rube Goldberg
>would be proud...
>
>When the solenoid releases, the pressure of the spring on the valve
>plunger should rotate the assembly the opposite direction, returning the
>solenoid lever to its at-rest position.  If it doesn't, then any of the
>following could be the cause:
>
>o The solenoid lever is so far out of adjustment that even with the
>  solenoid plunger fully withdrawn, the valve lever doesn't lift the valve
>  plunger.  This means there is no spring pressure to move the assembly
>  the opposite direction.  Check this first.  If you don't know the
>  adjustment procedure, write again and I'll provide details.
>
>o The solenoid plunger is sticking.  Check for dirt and/or corrosion.
>
>o The cross-shaft doesn't rotate freely.  Check the solenoid lever and the
>  adjusting lever on the opposite side to see if either is bent and
>  hanging up on the O/D case.
>
>o The valve plunger spring is weak, broken, or missing.
>
>o The valve plunger is sticking in its guide.
>
>o The bottom end of the valve plunger is worn flat, causing it to hang up
>  on the valve lever lever.  The bottom end of the plunger should be
>  rounded.  If it's worn flat, replace the plunger.  While you're at it,
>  might as well replace the valve ball too.
>
>o That TR4 tranny knows you plan to put it in a TR3, and is protesting
>  the only way it can. All of the above are correctable, but not this.
>  You'll just have to get a TR4 to go along with the tranny...
>
>Have fun!

>Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
>Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
>fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
>
>If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
>quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com   <- NOTE NEW ADDRESS

Celebrating my tenth year on Usenet/Internet