Tow vehicles (no LBC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow vehicles (no LBC
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Thu, 23 May 96 11:49:00 EDT

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

Since you posted the question to the Triumphs list I am assuming
that you are planning on towing a small lbc, such as a TR-6, TR-3
or a Spitfire/GT-6.

IMHO, a 2 wheel drive V-6 powered Blazer or 4.0 litre Jeep
Cherokee should be adequate so long as you do not plan on any
really steep and long grades.  The newer Blazers have a pretty
potent V-6 (I think the base motor puts out about 190 hp, which is
the same as the 4.0 Cherokee).

More important than horsepower, however, are other factors such as
(1) gearing - what axle ratio will you run?  You may want to
install a lower one than offered by the factory.  (2) torque -
more is obviously better  (3) quality of hitch - get a class III
hitch   (4) Suspension  - air springs or load leveling shocks help
a lot.  You may want helper springs if you get too much sag  (5)
tongue weight  -  make sure your load is properly balanced   (6)
trailer brakes  -  at an additional $200 to $300 they are worth it
considering that you are towing a car worth 20 to 30 times that
amount  (7) cooling system - add an oil cooler AND a trans cooler
if you run an automatic (which I highly recommend).

As you can see, it ain't cheap to PROPERLY outfit a towing rig.
Thus, my advice is if you have to skimp, do it  on options for the
truck itself (e.g. - get the next lowest trim level, give up power
door locks, pass on the hi-power stereo, etc.).  Look, it is
pretty much a common sense approach - what you are trailering is
valuable.  Protect it at all cost.  You'll hate yourself if you
total the LBC because your trailer jack-knifed on a sharp curve
because you skimped on the load leveling shocks and skipped the
trailer brakes.  Cheers.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)