Re: Running out of oil?

To: Don Haw <don@buster.ngs.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: Running out of oil?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 08:12:38 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>, TRIUMPHS <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 15 May 1996, Don Haw wrote:

> > I read an article today in the LA Times that mentioned that the US owned
> > oil fields are running out of oil.  I remember years ago naysayers warning
> > about oil and gas running out in 35 years.  But, it always seemed to be 35
> > years, even 5 years later.  Does anyone have any current information on
> > the topic?  Will it really be in our lifetime?  Looking out my window at
> > all the cars going by day and night all the time, makes the thought of
> > the drastic changes it will ultimately bring unfathomable.
> >
> > Jay
> >

> I heard just yesterday that the US has more in their fields than once thought.
> Also, we get 50% of our oil from oversees.
>
> Don Haw

        Guys,

        A few years back, I lived in Oklahoma (y'know, the oil patch).
        I found that yes, there's a whole lot of oil still there but it's
        cheaper to import. Eventually, the well stops actively
        producing oil, even via pump jack. If you want more oil from that
        source you have to employ more expensive means to get it out of the
        ground. When the cost exceeds the payback the well is abandoned.
        With American labor and other costs (and those that work drilling
        the stuff deserve what they get paid... the job is DANGEROUS).
        I suppose the well would have to produce 89 octane at the well
        head and spit plastic.for any one to look twice at it.

        BTW, in the `patch if a driller finds PG instead of oil they
        usually cap the well and move on...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois