Re: new member with question

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: new member with question
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:39:25 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 13 May 1996, Tim Gaines wrote:

> housing does not give the proper setting.  I have loosened the screws
> probably 20 times just trying by trial and error to get the setting right.
> I think I have done it now, and in so doing I stripped the threads in one
> of the mounting screw holes.  One was already stripped when I bought the
> car, so that leaves me with only one screw holding things in place.  The
> auto-choke housing costs about $130 new.  Do I need to buy it, or is there
> some way to use a larger, self-tapping screw that would do the job?

Tim,

LockTite makes a product that is supposed to work in applications similar
to yours.  I have not used it myself, but Carroll Smith swears it works
in his book on fasteners and plumbing (a great resource BTW).  I would
imagine that a well stocked autoparts store or speed shop would have it.
It may be worth a try before trying to helicoil ($$) or purchasing a new
housing ($$$).

Good luck,
Mike
http://www.unmc.edu/~mburdick