Re: '77 Spitfire 1500 Horn/Dimmer/Flasher/Signal Switch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, casurfer@pacificnet.net
Subject: Re: '77 Spitfire 1500 Horn/Dimmer/Flasher/Signal Switch
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:43:44 -0400
Wordly Scions,
In a message dated 96-05-13 04:41:37 EDT, Rich O writes:

>This switch has not been working since I purchased the vehicle, and after
>contacting all of my suppliers (including Moss) I have found that the part
is
>obscenely expensive.

Yes, it is pricey, especially considering the part that usually breaks
is a low tech, cheap plastic part to provide the high beam switch detent
action.
Any one know  where to get parts (new or used) for this contraption?

>Now, to my problem . . . . .
>
>I am trying to locate a diagram that shows the proper placement of all the
>components in the switch housing.  There are numerous (4) springs and parts
>that are obvious in there placement, however, a small bearing and short
(1/8"
> - 1/4") brass piece were floating, with no discernable home.

I don't know of any diagram available, but I was in a similar predicament a
few
months ago.  I puzzled with it quite a while.  Don't you just love things
that
"fly apart spontaneously" when disassembling them? ;-)

Working from memory (uh-oh):
[extremely technical nomenclature follows]
There are two parts that provide the detent action for the turn signal.
1. a pointed plastic bit
2. the small ball bearing
These are located near the periphery of the switch assembly and both of
them are spring loaded.  It's possible to interchange them but the switch
action will be much too stiff.  If you look at the mating grooves that the
pointy
thing and bearing ride in, you'll see which location is correct.

The small brass piece is the electrical contact for the turn signals.
Looking closer to the center of the inner assembly, you will see two
small "keyhole" like holes.  Shaped sort of like --->   =O=
Determine which one has wires and mating contacts (one is unused
for US market applications).  Then put the brass bit "laying down" in
the hole.  This may take a few (dozen) attempts to get it to seat.
Then insert the brass spring (standing up) into the round middle part
of the hole.  I don't recall if there is one of those nylon caps over this
spring or not.

>Any help would be appreciated.

This is the best I could do.  Hope it does help.
I would like to find a diagram of this thing myself.

Bob Sykes   -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  --    }-0-----0->