Re: TR6 - Floor Pan Rust (Bad or Not too Bad????)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 - Floor Pan Rust (Bad or Not too Bad????)
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 12:07:51 CDT
Cc: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com
Joe Simcoe wrote:
>...on the drivers side I found a good bit of rust from the forward edge
>of the seat to the firewall.
>
>I need to mention that the under sides of the floor pans are very good,
>with no rust.  The edges of all the pans appear to be very solid.  As
>are the sills and posts (as best as I can tell).

>After wire brushing the pan I have -  approx 35 "pinholes" through the
>floor pan...4-5 are 1/4" round - the remainder are 1/16-1/8" in
>diameter.

>Obviously I am not keen to replace the pan.  We will most likely have
>the car apart again, and more completely in a couple of years - giving
>us the oportunity to perform this surgery then, in concert with other
>body work/paint.

>Comments ???  - Observations???  - Any Thoughts???

Joe,
I had the same problem on my Spit many years ago--at least 15 yrs...can
it be that long?.  Both footwells were rusted through and being a poor
college student (at LSU BTW, are you in Baton Rouge?), I could not
afford to have them replaced.  So I removed all rust and fiberglassed
both footwells.  My father gave me a whole roll of fiberglass cloth
left over from some boat project.  I bought the epoxy and laid several
layers of fiberglass in each footwell.

I am now doing a full restoration on the car and have started cutting
the floor pans out (I am my own DPO).  Each fiberglass footwell came
out as one piece after much hammering and cutting.  The metal part of
the footwells were no worse than the day I patched them.  As someone
else pointed out, make sure you treat the bare metal and prime and
paint when you are done.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Regards,
Pat Willems