TR6 rear suspension bebuild advice wanted

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 rear suspension bebuild advice wanted
From: Brian Lanoway <76214.2773@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 May 96 09:44:08 EDT
Hi everyone:

I'm on the verge of rebuilding the rear suspension on my 73 TR6.  The parts are
on order from Moss (springs and collars, trailing arm and shock bushes, gaiters
and clips) and before I tear her apart, I want to make sure I've got everything
covered.

1.  I've bought the polyurethane trailing arm bushings.  A prior posting to the
list mentioned that these bushings squeek unless they're lubricated - what to I
lubricate these with?  Is there anything else I should watch out for when
installing these poly bushings?

2.  I'd like to relube the half shaft splines while I've got it apart.  Is this
simply a matter of removing the gaiters and relubing it?  My Hayes manual
doesn't indicate what to lube the splines with - surely you don't reassembly
them dry.  The Hayes manual also says to wash down the surface before
dissassembly with "paraffin" - what the h**l is "paraffin"?

3.  I'm assuming that you replace the nylock nuts instead of reusing them.  The
Moss catalog doesn't mention them - where can I buy them?  Are they available at
a standard automotive or industrial hardware store?

4.  The Hayes manual says that once the rear suspension is reassembled, I
shouldn't tighten the nuts until 2 people are sitting in the car so that proper
ride height can be achieved.  Which nuts are they talking about?  How do you
access them when the car is back on the ground, sitting on its tires?

Looks like fun!
Thanks in advance,
Brian Lanoway
73 TR6