The Great State of New Jersey

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The Great State of New Jersey
From: billsohl@planet.net (Bill Sohl)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 22:23:24 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Don Sforza wrote:
>To Bill Sohl, and the rest of you folks:
>
>Is the state of New Jersey really as stupid  as to think people will stand
>by idly and have their cars confiscated?
>
>I call everyone attention to this morning's Wall Street Journal... Page
>A18... Whew... this is scarry!

I didn't see the article, but there is a report in the nj.politics
newsgroup that I scanned quickly.  Frankly, it looks like more scare
tactics by a group
that is paranoid over the new regulations.  I and another NJ Triumph
Association member have reviewed the exact language of the legislation as
well as the more recent DMV's implementation regulations and they just do
not threaten classic car owners.  In fact, they creat a new exemption for
cars that meet a classic car criteria which wouldn't otherwise qualify
as an antique (25 or more years olsd).

Additionally, the crap about confiscation is totally misrepresented.
It just won't happen.  Yes, some communities have restrictive
zoning, but that has always been the case and there is nothing the DMV
plans to do along the lines of direct confiscation by a state action.

I'll try to get a copy of the full article that Don mentions and reviewit.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl   Budd Lake, NJ   billsohl@planet.net
----
Visit the Mount Olive Township Republican Party Home page at:
    http://www.cns-nj.com/mtolive