Re: REPLACING A TR2 REAR END WITH A TR3 MODEL?????

To: Christian Simonsen <Christian_Simonsen@ena-east.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: REPLACING A TR2 REAR END WITH A TR3 MODEL?????
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 13:21:21 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 10 May 1996, Christian Simonsen wrote:

>      ...I have been told on a few occasions that the
>      TR2 rear ends were wimpy and I should consider an upgrade to a TR3
>      version if I plan to drive it regularly. Can I get some validation on
>      this? A TR3 rear end is available to me until the end of this month.

It may well be a perfectly doable swap. I think you might have to check
on compatibility of some brake components such as pipes and hoses,
especially if the later axle has the Girling brakes instead of Lockheed.
Those two companies often used different thread sizes/pitches, which
could make the swap a bit less than an "easy, bolt-in" job.

As to how much stronger or more durable the TR3 axle is than the old
Vanguard-based TR2 axle, I don't know. I know improvements were made.

My (proverbial) two cents' worth....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *