Driving age?

To: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Driving age?
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 9:12:24 -0700 (MST)
Cc: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Numbskulls come in all ages.  At 33, I don't see any reason why
some people shouldn't be allowed to drive at 16, and others
_should_ at 50.   Responsible--if not skillful--driving is within
the abilities of anyone with fully-developed reflexes and a sense
of responsibility.  Many teenagers take driving far more seriously
than their older counterparts, simply because of the novelty.  It's
when you're too comfortable that you start to get careless.

I've argued vehemently over on british-cars for stronger licensing
requirements along European lines.  Most of the people I know who've
been injured (and sometimes crippled), didn't get that way because
of teenagers or drunks, they got that way because, a sober, "mature"
imbecile decided he could make a left against the red at 50 MPH.

I've been hit four times.   All of them were by irresponsible fools
doing something phenomenally stupid and illegal without even the
poor excuse of age or alcohol.

Raise the standards for drivers of all ages.  Make licenses hard
to get and hard to keep, and maybe we'll see the kind of accident
figures they have in most of Europe, instead of the kind we have
here.

- Dan Parslow
1965 Triumph Vitesse 6 convertible
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1127 Bob the Wainwright Single-Axle Dung Cart