re:None TR-driving tests, speed limits, etc

To: <TheHerrs@aol.com>, <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:None TR-driving tests, speed limits, etc
From: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com
Date: Mon, 6 May 96 21:06:23 PDT
Hi fans,

On this particular none Triumph related issue, I agree.  Sixteen is much too
young especially for males(peer pressure etc.).  My experience is not the
rule, but my other dependable Japanese car has been CRASHED into TWICE while
parked in front of the house by two non-related 16 year olds, incompetent and
incapable of speed control and proper U-turns.  BTW, on a very serious note
parents of both paid me in cash to fix my car, not to alert the insurance
agency. First accident cost $1,800, second cost $2,800.  Anyone wish to get
this on the ballot?

----------------------[Reply - Original Message]----------------------

Sent by:TheHerrs@aol.com
 In a message dated 96-05-06 14:06:08 EDT, joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph
Schneider) writes:

>i love to drive sports cars, but you need to pick time and place to push
>it,

 i'd like to see an 18 year old minimum for driving-

Joe-
I agree, the minimum age should be moved up to 18 for driving. 16 is much too
young for most teenagers. My kids won't like it, but based upon my inmaturity
at 16 and that of my friends, I think that the current 16 limit is too young
(especially for males). My wife was much more mature at 16.

Now at age 32, I still drive like an idiot, but I do pick my spots. I don't
speed at double the 25 limit in school zones, I don't drink and drive
(couldn't necessarily say that back at 16), I pay extreme attention to the
road on my 65 mile daily commute. I anticipate drivers moves from way back
and get out of their way. Most drivers are not aware of anything on the road
unless they are about to be hit. I know the road, where it is open for
stretches where you can see for miles and miles. I also take it easy in the
places where the road conditions are dangerous. I agree, I would want the
cops out on my street too, if people were speeding down my residential
street. The kids up the street sometimes do, and my little girl rides her big
wheel at the end of the driveway. But on the highway, the speed limits have
been artificially low for years. And police in our area cruise at 80+ when
they are not on "speed duty". This is hypocritcal at best, and makes many of
my fellow commuters angry.

Dave Herr
73 Stag (never over 80)
65 TR4A (??? not done yet)