Re: Ramblings on Speed Limits (& licenses)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ramblings on Speed Limits (& licenses)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 00:07:48 -0400
Greetins Wordly Scions,

Some very interesting dialog so far on this one.
Rik (and others) makes some very good points IMHO.

Ken Nachman writes:
-some more good points snipped-

>How about making the Drivers License test harder?

AHA an LBC connection (sort of).

The UK driving test *is* hard IMHO.  I was never able to pass it.
I remember my failed attempts well to this day.  The whole experience
(read ordeal) was very intimidating for a new driver.  It was a "given" that
you would fail the first time.  I failed the second time because I crossed
my hands on the steering wheel while performing the complicated
"three point turn but don't touch the kerb and use your hand-brake in
between shifting from first to reverse while checking the mirror sequence".
The test seemed to take forever and the examiner gives you no indication
that you have failed until the test is completely finished.
You had to wait at least a month before trying again, and it was expensive.
Does this make UK drivers better?
I  say yes, but  there are always exceptions.

To our UK contingent:  Is the test still as difficult as I remember?

I ended up coming to the states and taking my test in a small town
in Virginia.  This consisted of a short written / eye test and driving
around the block making 4 right turns.  I passed first time driving a
borrowed full size Ford Econline van.  I had one day to practice and learn
how to drive a "3 on the tree" shifter.  I had never driven on the right hand
side of the road before this.  It was hard to believe that I had gotten my
license so easily.  I went home to the UK.

The US license was good in the UK for 1 year.  After that I would take
the ferry across the English Channel for a couple of hours, come back,
get my passport stamped, and I'm good for another year.

Bob (who thought he was a "good" driver back then) Sykes
'78 Spitfires