Re: Electronic ignitions (was ignition coil questions)

To: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>, triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Electronic ignitions (was ignition coil questions)
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:52:16 -0800 "triumphs@autox.team.net digest #24 Sat Oct 28 02:35:01 MDT 1995" (Oct 28, 2:35am)
        Will this ignition work with the Crane or Lumedyne points replacement
        systems (optical)?  I really want something like the HI-6, but would
        like to do away with points as well.

The Crane HI-6 will take lots of trigger inputs, including the popular points
replacements. You may have to do some engineering to get it to work.

I originally considered using the Crane XR700 points replacement ignition kit
to drive the HI-6, but it almost doubles the price: since the XR700 is also a
small CDI unit. Crane doesn't sell the trigger electronics separately, which is
too bad (I think they're missing a good bet).

The "ignitors" that are appearing on the market are small Hall effect units on
a custom baseplate (the ones from JAE are engineered to fit properly in Lucas
distributors) and just look like points to the rest of the system. They seem
like the right way to drive the HI-6, but I haven't done it yet.